Connect with us

Caribbean

Cuban activist prevented from leaving home ahead of planned protests

Raúl Soublett López is director of Alianza Afro-Cubana

Published

on

Raúl Soublett López (Photo via Raúl Soublett López's Facebook page)

HAVANA — Cuban authorities have prevented an LGBTQ activist from leaving his home ahead of anti-government protests that are scheduled to take place across the country on Monday.

Alianza Afro-Cubana, a group that advocates for LGBTQ Cubans of African descent, in a tweet said authorities have not allowed its director, Raúl Soublett López, to leave his home in Havana’s Plaza neighborhood “to go to work as a teacher.”

“Today they have prohibited me from leaving my home,” Soublett told the Los Angeles Blade on Monday, referring to Cuba’s state security.

The Communist island on Monday reopened to tourists after a 20-month lockdown because of the pandemic. Authorities in recent days have targeted human rights activists, journalists and others who publicly criticize the government.

Maykel González Vivero, editor of Tremenda Nota, the Blade’s media partner in Cuba, is among the hundreds of people who Cuban authorities arrested during anti-government protests that took place across the island on July 11. Yoan de la Cruz, a gay man who used Facebook Live to livestreamed the first July 11 protest that took place in San Antonio de los Baños, a municipality in Artemisa province, faces an 8-year prison sentence.

Tremenda Nota reported State Security agents on Oct. 9 interrogated Soublett and threatened to charge him with “mercenarism” because he made a series of videos that highlight his group’s efforts to fight racism and homophobia in Cuba. The interrogation took place on the same day that President Miguel Díaz-Canel met with a dozen LGBTQ activists who work with the National Center for Sexual Education, a group that Mariela Castro, the daughter of former President Raúl Castro, directs.

The Cuban Justice Ministry in September released a draft of a proposed new family code that would extend marriage rights to same-sex couples in the country.

Tremenda Nota has reported the National Assembly is expected to vote on the new family code next month. A referendum on it would then take place.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Caribbean

Final vote on new Cuba family code slated for September

Same-sex couples poised to receive marriage, adoption rights

Published

on

(Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

HAVANA — The Washington Blade’s media partner in Cuba is reporting a final referendum on whether the final draft of a new family code that would extend marriage and adoption rights to same-sex couples will take place in September.

Tremenda Nota on June 23 reported a specific date for the referendum has not been announced, but it quoted comments President Miguel Díaz-Canel made the day before during a meeting of the commission that has written the draft. 

“We are entering a decisive stage,” said Díaz-Canel, according to Tremenda Nota. “We are going to need all the support that we need to ensure the emancipatory principles of equality and inclusion that the family code defends are actually approved.”

The National Assembly late last year approved the draft family code. 

A “popular consultation” ended on April 30. Tremenda Nota reported the last of the family code’s 25 drafts was presented to Díaz-Canel and other officials on June 6.

Díaz Canel and Mariela Castro, the daughter of former President Raúl Castro who is the director of Cuba’s National Center for Sexual Education, are among those who publicly support marriage equality. Cuban voters in 2019 overwhelmingly approved the draft of their country’s new constitution, but the government’s decision to remove a marriage equality amendment before the referendum on it sparked outrage among independent LGBTQ+ and intersex activists.

Efforts to implement the new family code are taking place against the backdrop of continued persecution of LGBTQ+ and intersex Cubans and others who publicly criticize the country’s government.

Tremenda Nota Editor Maykel González Vivero is among the hundreds of people who were arrested during anti-government protests that took place across Cuba on July 11, 2021.

Yoan de la Cruz, a gay man who used Facebook Live to livestream the first protest that took place in San Antonio de los Baños in Artemisa province. De La Cruz subsequently received a 6-year prison sentence, but he was released on house arrest last month.

Reports indicate Brenda Díaz, a Transgender woman who was arrested during a July 11 protest in Güira de Melena in Artemisa province, on Wednesday received a 14-year prison sentence. 

Editor’s note: Tremenda Nota’s original story is here.

Continue Reading

Caribbean

Gay man who livestreamed Cuba anti-government protest released from prison

Yoan de la Cruz received 6-year sentence

Published

on

Yoan de la Cruz is a gay man who broadcast to the world the first videos of the anti-government protests in Cuba that took place on July 11, 2021. (Photo courtesy of Twitter)

HAVANA — A gay man who received a 6-year prison sentence for live-streaming an anti-government protest in Cuba has been released.

Tremenda Nota, the Washington Blade’s media partner in Cuba, and sources on the island on Friday confirmed Yoan de la Cruz’s release from prison.

De La Cruz on July 11, 2021, used Facebook Live to livestream a protest in San Antonio de los Baños, a municipality in Artemisa province that is just west of Havana. The protest is one of dozens against the Cuban government that took place across the country on the same day.

A Havana court in March sentenced De La Cruz to six years in prison.

De La Cruz’s mother described the sentence as an “injustice” and said her son’s health deteriorated while in prison. One source in Cuba told the Blade that authorities sentenced De La Cruz to five years of house arrest after the original sentence was appealed.

The Blade will provide additional details as they become available.

Continue Reading

Caribbean

British territories appeals court upholds Bermuda marriage equality repeal law

Plaintiff criticized government ‘crusade against same-sex marriage’

Published

on

(Photo courtesy of Rebecca Kelliher)

LONDON — A British territories appellate court on Monday upheld a Bermuda law that rescinded marriage rights for same-sex couples.

The 4-1 decision from the Privy Council’s Judicial Committee in London comes more three years after Bermuda’s government appealed a Bermuda Court of Appeals ruling that found the Domestic Partnership Act — which allows same-sex couples to enter into domestic partnerships as opposed to get married — unconstitutional.

Supreme Court Justice Charles-Etta Simmons in 2017 issued a ruling that paved the way for gays and lesbians to legally marry in Bermuda. The Domestic Partnership Act that then-Gov. John Rankin signed took effect on June 1, 2018.

“To my fellow LGBTQ+ Bermudians, I wish to say to you what I also need to hear at this moment. You matter. Your hurt matters. You deserve better than this,” said Roderick Ferguson, one of the plaintiffs in the marriage equality case, in an OUTBermuda press release on Monday after the Privy Council’s Judicial Committee released its ruling. “The Bermuda government’s crusade against same-sex marriage was waged to convince you that there’s something shameful about your sexuality. Don’t believe that tired old lie.”

The Privy Council’s Judicial Committee on Monday also ruled same-sex couples in the Cayman Islands don’t have a constitutional right to marry in the British territory.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us @LosAngelesBlade

Sign Up for Blade eBlasts

Popular