A demonstration at the Saudi Arabian consulate of Los Angeles is being planned for Saturday, December 14, in support of LGBTQ and other oppressed people within the Middle Eastern Kingdom.
Sponsored by the group Out Against War, it’s the second protest at the consulate in less than a month, calling out multiple aspects of Saudi Arabian policy, including its record of alleged human rights violations. The first demonstration took place on November 16.
On their Facebook event page, the group posted the following announcement:
SPREAD THE WORD! BRING YOUR FRIENDS, BANNERS AND NOISE MAKERS!
WE DEMAND THE END OF SAUDI ARABIA’S:
• Murder, torture and oppression of LGBT People
• Discrimination and oppression of Women
• Government fossil fuel destruction of our planet
• Feudal monarchy
• Militarism and Wars (for example, Yemen, militarism in 6 continents)
• Spreading of Right Wing Hate in the name of religion
WE SUPPORT IN SAUDI ARABIA
• Labor unions for Working People
• Free speech, a free press and a free media
• Full human rights for the Saudi People and all minorities
• Establishment of a democracy
The group is calling particular attention to an incident in April, when 37 Saudi men were convicted and executed despite court filings that showed several of them maintained their innocence, with some claiming confessions had been forged by interrogators or that they had been obtained under torture. Some of the men had been convicted of being homosexual, which is considered a criminal offense in Saudi Arabia.
The demonstration, which is hosted by a group called “Make Love Not War – Oppose the Merchants of Death,” which works to call attention to “ The corporations who make arms for wars, for police killing of African Americans, Latino/as, and transgenders, and for despoiling our environment,” according to their Facebook page.
Saturday’s protest is also endorsed by the organizations LA LGBT Greens and DSA-LA LGBT Caucus.
Those who wish to participate are invited to join the demonstration, which will be held from 12 – 2pm in front of the Saudi consulate at 2045 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles.