LOS ANGELES – Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the City had administered over 1 million coronavirus tests. Although a majority of the City’s initial testing sites served residents with vehicles, such as the parking areas at Dodger Stadium, the mayor said that the city was continuing to partner with local companies including San Dimas-based Curative Biomedical Inc and the LA Fire Department to bring increased testing to underserved neighborhoods.
“If you are unable to drive to a test site, we are coming to you,” Garcetti said. “Our fire department has redesigned trailers with walk-up windows that can test four people at a time, and Curative has launched its own testing van, distributing COVID tests.”
Mobile testing sites will be available this week at the following locations:
August 6 — S. Central Avenue & E. Vernon Avenue, Los Angeles, 10 am-4 pm
August 6 — Rose Hill Courts, 4466 Florizel St., Los Angeles, 10 am – 4 pm
August 6 — Watts Civic Center, 1501 E. 103rd St., Los Angeles, 5-7 pm
August 7 — Estrada Courts, 3232 Estrada St., Los Angeles, 10am – 4pm
August 8 — Cypress Recreation Center, 2630 Pepper Ave., Los Angeles, 10 am-4 pm
August 9 — Wilmington Recreation Center/Will Hall Park, 325 N. Neptune Ave., Wilmington, 10 am-4 pm
Testing at mobile sites is done via appointment and walk-up. More information about mobile testing site locations can be found on the city’s testing website.
“We’re sending these resources all around the city in the places that are most needed, and we’re constantly looking at the data to see which communities were seeing surges and how we can help ensure that we take those surges down,” said Garcetti. He added that there was a new pilot program that would bring testing kiosks into hard-hit communities.
“Right now we’re working with Curative to pilot kiosks for COVID testing that can each test up to 500 people a day, where you can walk in your own neighborhood to a kiosk,” he said. “And by the end of the month, we will have those up and running here in Los Angeles.”
Garcetti also announced that following media and other reports of large parties that violate the health orders aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19, he will authorize shutting off water and power services to houses that host such gatherings.
Beginning Friday night, if LAPD officers respond to and verify that a large party is occurring, and there’s evidence that the venue has repeatedly engaged in such behavior, LAPD officials will request that utilities shut off water and power services within 48 hours.
Wednesday afternoon the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed 68 new deaths and 2,347 new cases of COVID-19.
Residents between the ages of 18 and 49 years old make up nearly 60% of new COVID-19 cases.
In a media statement, the Department of Public Health announced that residents between the ages of 30 and 49 years old have the highest case rate among all age groups in LA County. Since the beginning of June, case rates for this group nearly tripled to a high of 1,122 cases per 100,000 population on July 24.
Younger residents are also being hospitalized more than before. People between the ages of 30 and 49 years old account for 25% of hospitalized patients in the County. Patients between the ages of 18 and 29 years old now account for more than twice the proportion of all hospitalizations than they did in April. These patients now match the hospitalization rate of people aged 80 years old or older. By comparison, hospitalizations of those 80 years old or older have fallen by half since a peak in April.
There are 1,768 confirmed cases currently hospitalized and 31% of these people are confirmed cases in the ICU. This continues to be lower than the daily hospitalizations of over 2,000 patients reported last week.
To date, Public Health has identified 197,912 positive cases of COVID-19 across all areas of L.A. County, and a total of 4,825 deaths. The majority of all cases have occurred among people between the ages of 18 and 49 years old with over 109,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
During his Wednesday afternoon coronavirus briefing, President Trump, under questioning from the Washington Blade’s White House Correspondent Chris Johnson, repeated that the coronavirus will “go away” when asked about making that continued claim about the coronavirus despite ongoing additional cases and deaths.
Trump repeated that assertion when asked whether his words during a “Fox & Friends” interview earlier in the day — “This thing’s going away. It will go away like things go away” — is out of touch with reality.
“It’s going away, it’s going away,” Trump said. “It’s going away. No, it’ll go away. Things go away. Absolutely. No question in my mind, it’ll go away.”
Trump, after momentarily turning to another reporter, added, “Hopefully sooner rather than later.”